The Nugget Race Report by Marc Scott
Great results from Hawks this weekend at the Waihi Nugget. Rain the night before made conditions a bit slippery, but not too sodden. The rain stayed away until late morning, so most got in without too much rain. Forgive me if I miss anyone from the results.
11km – Nice work from Veronika Adams 1st lady and 5th overall from a field of 67. The 11 km is run in the bush track around Waihi.
21km (actually 22.5km), 121 finished– What a nuggety couple! Jai and Malesa taking the open wins. Big congratulations!
A 8:30 start, at Waihi Beach, giving the ½ Nugget runners a half hour start, which I suppose they needed. Great conditions, mild and overcast. 6 minute warm up felt ok, the last time I’d feel ok that day. At race briefing they mentioned the course change from last year. Thought this had potential, Jai and Matt not being the best with their way-finding, so perhaps together they could take themselves for some extra sightseeing. The field looked stronger this year with a few other speedies noted. Two were and once the gun went Jai, Matt and two others took off down the beach leave all others in their wake.
Heading down the beach, chatted to a couple of “my age blokes”, quizzed another over his age, chat, chat until we hit the track and the first hill 800m in. All communication from me then ceased. Didn’t see the front four after this until Jai passed me a beer at the finish, which was a great sight. The track up the bays is beautiful and footing was good, even with the overnight rain. Up hill, down hill, along bay, across stream, again and again until we hit the big hill at 7 km. Was thinking maybe I’d been working a bit hard but the hill was ok and by the top Malesa hadn’t greeted me with her cheery “Hi, how you going?”
The downhill was wet, but pretty forgiving and not much cow s#@t on the races. We were running in amongst the back end of the mountain bikers on the ½ Nugget by now. They’re good company, but completely unreliable at providing race intelligence. The second half is weaving in and out on farm paddocks, some farm race and some gravel track. The finish is at the mine in Waihi. Got home without seeing anyone after the halfway hill, got the beer. 5th time running this one and still think it’s one of the best trail runs. Such good variety in terrain and scenery.
• 1st Jai Davies-Campbell 1:57:51
• 1st lady, 6th overall Malesa McNearney 2:16:21
• 4th, Matthew Scott (past Hawk) 2:05:36
• 1st 40+, 5th overall Marc Scott 2:15:24
• 2nd 50+ lady, Kay Stockman 2:53:06
• 12th 20-39 male Marcus Daws 2:38:24
• 20th 20-39 male Ross Barnett 2:57:49
• 11th 40+ lady Paula Klein 3:33:33
½ Nugget – 10 km run, 21 km mt bike. Don’t know why we’re reporting on this. Getting on the bike is a bit soft and not too smart at the top of a massive hill, but Kris and Rodrigo spiced it up adding a bit of extra challenge.
Second hand, but we hear:
• Rodrigo did the full Nugget (Road Cycle 23k, Kayak 10k, Road Cycle 9k, Trail Run 10k, MTB 21k, Run 400m), 5th at the end of the run, thought the ride looked a bit short and added an extra 12 km section. You’re a good sport Rodrigo.
• Kris not wanting to be outdone, decided riding with a seat was overrated and thought “my thighs need a proper work out” so he rode without seat. Showing off, but nice work Kris.
Field of 92.
• 2nd 50+, 9th overall Andrew Wark 2:24:09 (3 second of 1st 50+ and 3 places behind Alistair Brownlee)
• 6th 18-39, 14th overall Kris Moore 2:29:50
• 8th 40+ Less Miller 2:49:48
• 6th 40+ Tanja Miller 3:33:26–
Full Official Results: http://results.racetiming.co.nz/competitions/1611